Translate

Friday, April 19, 2024

Dr. Mohanjit

I'm deeply saddened to hear about the passing of Dr. Mohanjit Singh, an eminent Punjabi poet, critic, and translator. His contributions to Punjabi literature were immense, and his loss will be deeply felt by the literary community and beyond.

 

Dr. Mohanjit's work has left an indelible mark on the world of literature, and his achievements, including the Saahitya Academy Award and the prestigious Punjab Gaurav Puraskar, will continue to inspire generations to come.

 

It's heartbreaking to learn of his passing, especially after hearing about his declining health just recently. I can only imagine the shock and sorrow that his friends, colleagues, and admirers, such as Mr. Nachhattar, a well-known Punjabi novelist and short story writer, must be feeling at this moment.

 

I recall the conversation I had with Nachhattar on phone while in Amritsar yesterday with Vishal, the editor of Akkhhar, discussing Dr. Mohanjit's unwellness. It's particularly poignant that he edited my poetry book, "Waqt Belagaam," in January 2021, and though I couldn't publish it until 2024 due to various reasons, including my own health struggles, I couldn't include his name due to circumstances beyond my control.

 

Dr. Mohanjit's understanding and forgiving nature, as evidenced by his reaction to the omission of his name in the book during my conversation at the Sahitya Academy, Ludhiana elections in March 2024, speaks volumes about his character and generosity.

 

May his soul find eternal peace, and may his legacy continue to shine brightly through his timeless words and profound influence on literature. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family, friends, and all those who have been touched by his brilliance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment