Translate

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Pages 364, 365, 366 & 367

     "Is everything okay? Eesa left so early.  I'm curious about the mansion and how Zillapur might have changed," Ratno asked Jagat as they sat at the table of the kitchen.

    "It's the same except dustier, dirtier and more crowded."

    "Is that why you go there every week?"

    "You know why I go there.  We're setting up the hostel.  I'm responsible for the Trust."

    "The truth is you go for Sujata, no?"

    "Partly, she was there for me after Preeti's death.  I can't just dump her now that you're back, wouldn't be fair."

    "But I am having a hard time with it, wondering how I'd defend you if someone accused you of defying the norms and being an old letch."

    "I, come to think of it you too, have done that all our lives, defy norms that is. I don't need defending."

Jagat decided to take Ratno to Zillapur.  Inside the Fiat Ratno was reflecting on her brave words to him the morning after the Zillapur night to live his life in absolute freedom from her.  She had never thought for a moment she would be jealous of another woman with Jagat.  She had made the decision to be absent from his life.  When they met in Delhi she knew he was married and there was no chance of them ever reuniting.  But Preeti and Sukhia's death had changed everything.  The one who had made the decision to free Jagat forever now wanted him all for herself.

    "Ratno see if you can talk Sameer out of his plans for England.  He might listen to you."

    "Me? I don't know why you'd think he'd listen to me but I'd try.  We know he has the passport; all he wants is your consent and money for the fare."

Jagat was angry at Sameer but not at Eesa for wanting to do the same thing because,

    "A chuhra becoming the Prime Minister of India would always remain the chuhra Prime Minister.  A janitor ascending to the prime minister ship fo Britain would just be Prime Minister," had said Eesa rendering Jagat speechless.  As for his son Jagat reasoned: "Though relatively poor, we aren't amongst the poorest; in fact seeinng our bungalow and the decrepit Fiat some might believe u rich."

    "You're being too hard on Sameer.  India is turning out to be different from your dreams and all you're doing is complaining; he wants to escape while you res on your laurels."

Jagat said nothing; she despised him muting his inner rebel about India because it was killing him.

The Fiat entered the gates of the mansion which had a quiet beauty abouot it, the green yard, roses, mango tees - one old, the other serene and smaller on Penis' grave as if it was aware of the secret beneath it quite smug about sharing it with Sujata.  In the beige salwar kameez and white chunni Sujata came out to greet the Fiat.  She smiled at Ratno in a light blue sari.

    "Jagat has told me a lot about you Chhoti Bhen, including the Gundu story.  You're as pretty as I imagined.  Come sit down with me.  Would you like tea or sharbat and biscuits with it?"

    "No thanks, I'm fine," said Ratno.

    "I'd take tea with biscuits," said Jagat.

    "If Jagat's having it I'll take some too," said Ratno.

    "He likes my tea.  You'll too?"

    "Bhen, where is your Teg, our teacher?"  asked Ratno suddenly curious to see if there was any hint of Jagat in him.  She had forgotten Jagat had told her Teg was already at school when he first met Sujata.

    "He's teaching at Amritsar, visits me every two or three weeks.  It's lonely in this big place," Sujata talked as if they were already the best of friends.

As they all sipped tea Jagat had taken his first bite of the biscuit when a policeman come through the gate and after asking his name he handed Jagat an envelope.

    "Bastards, yes bastards they are for betraying what Gandhi stood for; they aren't Gandhian any more.  The Congress wants possession of the mansion and I say over my dead body; as planned we shall turn the mansion into a hostel that can support and accommodate at least six students and you, Sujata, will run it. I'd be damned if I cede control to the fleecers like Ram," yelled Jagat and turning to Ratno he continued even louder than before, "Sujata knows him Ratno; this is the same Ram who wouldn't walk to school from his home in Haveli until I reached his place."

Upon return from school his mother would give us sweets and hot milk.  If by mistake she served him first he'd pass it to me and wait for her to serve him.  Now he's sending me notices through the police.  God, what's this place coming to? I should go see a lawyer," he said getting up.

The old Fiat stopped in front of Gobinda Singh's 'Tera Ghar', "God's Abode".  Jagat jumped out of the Fiat and knocked on the gate.  It creaked as it was opened by a man in knickers, shirt and tongs on his feet who showed Jagat in.  Gobinda rose from his chair, asked his cook to make tea for them, walked over and embracing Jagat said, "Jagat Singh ji, I am honoured to have you, a great freedom fighter, at my humble abode.  Your party controls most state governments and Delhi.  It must keep you busy," said Gobinda sitting in one of the two recliners around a small table as Jagat smiled while taking in the framed portraits of Nehru and Gandhi hung above the mantle of the drawing room.

    "I'm busy teaching and looking after my small khooh.  I find Congress is straying from Gandhian ethics and commitment to the service of the country.  The powerful are fast becoming unethical," said Jagat handing him the Trust document and the summons.

    "I see you have complete discretion and the Congress is one potential beneficiary.  We shall prevail," said Gobinda.

The summons in Gobinda's possession and off his mind, Jagat got into the Fiat, and wondered how back at the mansion Sujata and Ratno might be getting along or not.

Sujata and Ratno were cooking, talking and waiting for Jagat.

    "Jaggi's father, where is he?" asked Sujata.

    "I had met him in Zillapur but I had left him to go make a life on my own; Durga Chacha I had met on the Ambala train station helped me," she told Sujata truth and lies, a story that bundled them together.

    "Bhen, I knew Jagat when he was a student talking to my eight year old Teg, from what you tell me, probably around the same time at the time you were in Zillapur."

Ratno was silent; she had lied enough.

She hated sharing Jagat with Sujata but decided she couldn't bring herself to hate the woman who loved Jagat in need.

    "In her own way Sujata is beautiful, no less than me," she told herself.



No comments:

Post a Comment