Translate

Sunday, February 18, 2024

Pages 327, 328 & 329

 Chapter 43:

The door of the Principal's office flung open; the red smudge of an observant Hindu on his forehead, a small cloth bag on the shoulder, Rahim walked in.

    "Pleasant surprise indeed. Come, come, And what's with the tilak on your forehead? Hinduism doesn't take converts because they can't fit into the castes;  you can only be born a Hindu and I hope it's not blood. Already to mush has been shed?" in his excitement Jagat continued.

    "When raullay broke I was at a friend's away from Delhi..  The friend smudged my forehead making him a temporary Hindu for safe return to Delhi.  Upon reaching Delhi, the padlock on the mansion stared at me.  My neighbor Dhanna Pandit who had seen the killers and looters ravage the house told me that one them had shouted 'The bitch must've converted and married him' and as per Dhanna, they hit on the head with an iron bar, she lay unconscious they must've dragged her and the household contents away." 

Stunned Jagat repeated shook his head, listened and Rahim continued.

   "The government records showed that I had gone to Pakistan and the mansion was about to be allotted to a refugee family from Pakistan. 'Rahim Brother, you belong here' said Dhanna as he broke the padlock with a crowbar.  In the drawing room a wooden charpoy and portrait of Maharaja you will remember, the two things the looter didn't take away, stared at me.  The partition has sullied my idea of India; the portrait, a reminder of my belonging reaffirmed it and hence I'm here in flesh and blood though I lay awake at nights wondering what happened to my Hukmi; she was pregnant when I had left her to go to Lucknow."

    "Oh man we must find her!"

    "I've tried everywhere. Who knows, thinking she was a Muslim they may have shoved her into some caravan or a train heading across the border," said Rahim breaking down, wiping his tears and sniffling, "Who the hell knows?"

    "I'm sorry, Rahim, these religious bastards, I don't know what else they have in store for our country!"

There was silence and counting the empty tea cups Jagat noticed each had consumed at least half a dozen.

    "Why the smudge now, though?" asked Jagat.

Quiet, Rahim, too, was counting and recounting the empty cups.

    "It's unlike you to not explain."

    "Well, the bastards won't change me.  I'm of Zamindar Muslim family, a Hindu Munni Bai from Lahore's Hira Mandi and a Sikh Maharaja who took her to his harem.  Like India I am Hindu, Muslim, Sikh with Christian friends and a right to profess to be of any faith thrown in, hence the tilak.  Shit, I'm even married to a Hindu or was but hopefully sill am and she's alive." 

For a few moments they were both quiet.

    "But why even now the tilak because the violence is over?"

    "Alright, no bullshit, it's a shame but it's a passport for safe travel," said Rahim ending his story, looking down with glazed eyes.

    "Such shame!" said Jagat.

The tuck shop had long closed but Shiv Singh was still outside on the stool.

Jagat pedaled the bike, Rahim sat on the carrier, the two veterans of the independence, one pulling the other, both struggling to feel at home in its aftermath.  The cool November afternoon was a reprieve from perspiration in the four miles of pedaling with not so short or light Rahim.  At the khooh they rested the bijke and took a quick dip in the just filled challah, the fresh ground water still warm.

    "Rahim Brother the last time you came was after visiting Jagat bhaaji in jail.  Now the country is free and we shall enjoy your time and banter," said Dhumma standing with Gamma and remembering being in stitches at Rahim's unending jokes.

    "Yes we had a good time when my non smiling politics nerd friend wasn't around.  But Beeru tells great jokes too.  Where is he?"

For a few moments no one said anything.  Gamma and Dhumma looked towards Jagat.  He saw that and said, "Oh, we took several caravans of Muslims to the Meram Camp.  One was attacked and protecting me he perished."

Rahim detected a lump in Jagat's throat and said,

    "Oh, I'm so sorry.  No one told me."

    "I hate sharing bad news!" said Jagat, looking away.

From the cots in the yard Jagat led Rahim to the hut and showed him the arsenal Jodh had prepared for protection during the raullay of the partition.  Later the four of them walked home.  Ruhi and Seeto were at the chullah but not seeing Preeti anywhere Rahim asked where she was.

    "She'd been killed in the raullay; the night Beeru was killed protecting me she was killed protecting our home," said Jagat.

    "I spilled my guts out to you and you didn't think me worthy of sharing your pain; I'm your best friend, for God's sake!"

    "Compared to your travails my pain," Jagat said and stopped; there was a silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment